An extract from Brenton Symon’s 1863 Geological Map of the Caradon and Ludcott Mining District in Cornwall
Brenton Symon’s map is such a rich resource of information on South Caradon Mine that it deserved its own post, and here it is.
Brenton Symons’ map coverage includes the Liskeard and Menheniot mining district, and captures the area at the peak of its development, before the financial market crash of 1866. The geology shown is basic, but what is shown is invaluable in understanding the layout of the Caradon Mines.
- Sett boundaries: Coloured dashed lines
- Lodes: Red lines
- Direction of dip: Arrows
- Cross-Courses: Grey lines
- Elvans: Red shaded areas
- Granite Killas Boundary: Blue/pink shading
- Pumping engines: PE
- Whim engines: WE
- Waterwheels: WW
- Shafts: Circles
More information about the map
These posts include a discussion on the accuracy of the geology shown by Brenton Symons, puts the map in context, some notes on its creator, and delves into detail on some of the features portrayed.
The full map is reproduced in my Kindle Pubication- The Liskeard Mining District in 1863.
South Caradon Mine as shown by Brenton Symons
All the important geological features that shaped the history of the mine are shown on the map; the granite boundary crossing the southern part of the extract, the east-west trending lodes, the long run of the rich caunter lode and the cross-courses associated with the Seaton Valley.
Within the Seaton Valley there is a cluster of buildings denoting South Caradon’s dressing floors and administration area. This is where the mine commenced its operations, and this is the area so evocatively described by Wilke Collins in ‘Rambles beyond Railways’.
To the south of this is a run of shafts and engine houses that exploited the Caunter lode. Jopes, Rules and Kitto’s mark the progression of the mine eastwards as it chased the copper across the southern slopes of Caradon Hill.
The Liskeard and Caradon Railway’s 1863 layout is clearly shown. On the west the line runs up the Gonamena incline plane towards Minions, on the south the line contours around Caradon Hill to East Caradon Mine. This was the arrangement before the railway built the extension around the eastern side of the hill to allow steam traction to reach Minions.
The Liskeard Mining District in 1863
Extracts of the map for each of the mines in the area are included, along with descriptions of their history and key features.
The next group of posts in this series will be to recover some of the pages from the old website that describe in more detail the remains at the site.