A wander through the ‘History and Progress of Mining in the Liskeard and Caradon District’
That is the final post covering the mines within the miscellaneous section of Webb and Geach’s book completed. So before this blog leaves the topic for some William West related topics here is an index of the posts.
These posts explores some of the smaller mines described within Webb and Geach’s book of the Liskeard mining district in east Cornwall. This 1863 publication is currently available in paperback from the Trevthick Society, ISBN 978 0904040 88 3.
Each of the posts explores the mine sites through maps available on the internet, so by following the links a virtual exploration of the locations can be undertaken. The mines covered are all listed in the section titled ‘Miscellaneous’ within the book ( pages 98-102). In describing these mines Webb and Geach state-
“Several lodes in various parts of this district have been formerly worked, mostly for tin, but are now abandoned, many of them for long periods.”
Predictably, many of this mines have little or no evidence on maps, even by the 1880’s little remained on the Ordnance Survey maps. Tantalising traces do remain however, of some of these unsuccessful attempts to mine in the area around Caradon Hill.
- St.Cleer Consols Page 98
- Wheal Venland Page 98
- Liskeard Consols Page 99
- Caradon Copper Mine Page 99
- Wheal St. Cleer Page 99
- Butterdon Mine Page 99
- Wheal Venton Page 100
- East Penhargate Mine Page 100
- North Wrey and Julia Page 100
- West Craddock Moor Mine Page 100
- Penhauger Mine Page 101
- West Phoenix Mine Page 101
- Dunsley Wheal Phoenix Page 101
Its been great fun exploring these little known Cornish mines through the screen of my Kindle Fire. But William West of Tredenham, The Last Great Cornish Engineer is again requiring some fresh research. So this blog will be leaving Webb and Geach for a while, but will return in the future to look at some of the more successful mines of the Liskeard District.