This virtual journey of exploration based on Webb and Geach’s book ‘The history and progress of mining in the Liskeard and Caradon District’ , continues with another of the small mines described in the Trevithick Society’s reprint of the Victorian publication. This post covers the first of the mines described on page 99.
“…a mine situate a little south of the patch of greenstone forming St. Cleer Downs, was worked a few years since by a Liskeard Company, but after an incomplete trial it was abandoned.” Webb and Geach
Cornwall XXXVI.NW (includes: Liskeard Borough; Menheniot; St Cleer.) Surveyed: 1881 to 1882, Published: 1887
Current OS map
Google Street view
Reference : MCO56307
Name : LISKEARD CONSOLS – C19 mine
Monument type : BLACKSMITHS WORKSHOP, MINE, MINERS CHANGING HOUSE?
Period : Post Medieval
Form : DOCUMENTARY EVIDENCE, EARTHWORK, EXTANT BUILDING
Summary : Liskeard Consols was worked between 1841 and 1844. All that remains of the site is a depression at the location of a shaft, and a cottage that is likely to have been either the smith’s shop or possibly the ‘dry’ or changing house for the mine.